Wednesday, November 4, 2020

T5W: Read in Translation

 I am going to start by saying that I have no idea if this post is 100% accurate, I literally just googled, "what language was ____ written in?" to figure it out so if I am wrong....sorry. Also, I am very curious what books you have read that were translations of the original, comment down below if you participate in T5W so I can check out your lists. 

1. Inkheart (German)

I read this back in like 8th or 9th grade and I remember being pretty bored through it. But, in the decade since I feel like my tastes have changed and that I may actually enjoy this now if I pick it up, I am just scared to be wrong *awkward laugh* If you have picked this book up please let me know what you think, I am so indecisive.

2. The Little Prince (French)

I picked up this lovely little story a few years back when Netflix released a short of it I really wanted to watch but refused to do so until I had finally read the story....I still haven't seen the short.

3. Persepolis (French)

This was one of those books I had to read in one of my High School English classes and I am so happy that they made me pick it up. It is such a good story but I know that I would probably have never picked it up if I hadn't had to.

4. The Alchemist (Portuguese)

This book was both incredibly beautiful and incredibly frustrating all at the same time. I 100% recommend the read. Just do it, it's short so you have no excuse not to.

5. The Witcher Series (Polish)

Such a good series but I felt like it lost me a little towards the end. I binged the whole series (8 books I think) in like a month and a half and while I don't regret it, I wasn't completely happy with the outcome. It is so hard to talk about without giving anything away. I will give him props though for creating characters I actually cared about and a very rich world.


2 comments:

  1. I did not know The Witcher was originally polish! Also yay Inkheart! I read the original in middle grade and I reread the trilogy as a late teen and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is one of the reasons that the Witcher took so long to become as popular as it is now after it got published. Haha also, I have had Inkheart in my shopping cart for weeks now, I have just been waiting until I finish what I am reading now to purchase it.

      Delete