Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Mermaid's Sister Book Review

The Mermaid's Sister by Carrie Anne Noble

22833921

Synopsis

There is no cure for being who you truly are…

In a cottage high atop Llanfair Mountain, sixteen-year-old Clara lives with her sister, Maren, and guardian, Auntie. By day, they gather herbs for Auntie’s healing potions; by night, Auntie spins tales of faraway lands and wicked fairies. Clara’s favorite story tells of three orphan infants—Clara, who was brought to Auntie by a stork; Maren, who arrived in a seashell; and their best friend, O’Neill, who was found beneath an apple tree.

One day, Clara discovers shimmering scales just beneath her sister’s skin: Maren is becoming a mermaid and must be taken to the sea or she will die. So Clara, O’Neill, and the mermaid-girl set out for the shore. But the trio encounters trouble around every bend. Ensnared by an evil troupe of traveling performers, Clara and O’Neill must find a way to save themselves and the ever-weakening Maren.

And always in the back of her mind, Clara wonders, if my sister is a mermaid, then what am I?
Opinion


This is a tale of two sisters raised together on the side of a beautiful mountain, and a traveler boy whom has been raised on the road, all of them with their own orphan stories, brought together to be a family. Their story truly begins when they set off on a journey full of magic, danger, captivity and adventure, as they have to fight to save each other, one sister fading fast. 
“Sometimes the plainest of things conceal the most unimaginable wonders,”
I originally picked this up because it was on Kindle Unlimited and I thought, why not? For the most part I found this to be an enjoyable book, the magic and the children's stories were intriguing, but nothing about this book was overly surprising or great; the book was nothing more than enjoyable. I really like the magical realism and the elements of magic in 19th c. Pennsylvania. Also, the whole traveling carnival part was gripping in the fact that it added some mystery and made you actually develop feelings for the characters, and I'm not just talking about Clara and O'Neil. 
“There's no cure for being who you truly are.”
The main frustration I had with this story is that it had so much promise. but it was just poorly delivered. I am in no way saying it was bad, I'm just saying that there could have been so much more to this. Also, the ending....ugh! It was very expected, yes, but how it happened was so abrupt and oddly timed. I just really wish that the world and characters were more developed, making the story more touching, instead of a hasty story, honestly, I would not have minded if this was longer, 236 pages just wasn't enough for this to become and amazing read. Plus, when the story was over I was still left with questions. How did baby Maren get to Llanfair Mountain? Why was she taken there in the first place? That, and there was a love triangle...Now, I'm going to forgive the author this time, but oh my goodness, I can't take love triangles! *growls in frustration* 

Image result for sigh gif

*sigh* Overall it was a sweet story; an enjoyable, light read for beach days and, in my case, downtime at work. Clara's sisterly devotion really made you want to cheer her on, though I wasn't Maren's biggest fan. Regardless, I would read another book by this author, and it was a good debut novel. (3.5/5) --- (I totally acknowledge that these last few sentences sounded like the end of a terrible essay your forced to write in like freshman English class...I don't know what to tell you)

Any one else read this book yet? If so what did you think? Also, have you read any wonderful mermaid books recently? Let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment