Sunday, March 6, 2016

Stars Above Book Review

Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer 

I waited nearly a whole month after purchasing Winter before I actually read it because I was not ready for the story to end. The group of friends in this book are my favorite band of fictional misfits, I just couldn't imagine it being over already. I was happy when I found out last year that Marissa Meyer was going to release Stars Above because part of me was happy that there was more to read. Like everyone says, even good things have to come to an end. 




The Keeper (4/5) 
“Cinders. Embers. Ashes. Michelle hoped that whatever strength had allowed this child to survive the fire all those years ago was a strength that still burned inside her. That it would go on burning, hotter and hotter, until she was as bright as the rising sun.”

I was so happy that the story of Michelle Benoit's involvement was included, she was such an incredible character that left me wanting to know more of what happened that brought Cinder to her and how everything came about. But I must say, Scarlet in this story is really what got me. I can just imagine a little Scarlet whit crazy red hair being so stubborn, yet so cute, causing such a ruckus for Michelle.  She was definitely such a wonderful character as well. 

Glitches (3.5/5)
"Who’s Prince Kai?”
Peony spun toward her so fast, she tripped on the skirts of Adri’s kimono and fell, screaming, onto her bed. “Who’s Prince Kai?” she yelled, struggling to sit back up. “Only my future husband! Honestly, don’t girls in Europe know about him?” 


Peony always seemed like such a sweet character and such a victim. This being the story of how Cinder came to live with Adri and all of them. This really made me like both Peony and Iko more, as well as feel less terrible towards Adri (don't get me wrong, I am still far from being her #1 fan). This also gives a glimpse of how Adri pretty much hated Cinder's presence from day one, but loved her husband so much that she trusted him despite that. 

The Queen's Army (4.5/5)
"He would be brave—so his brother would not see his fear. He would be strong for him."

Wolf has definitely been one of my favorites throughout the series and to see his beginnings in the Queen's Army was definitely an insight that I was excited for. But stars, I was being naive when I thought it wouldn't be as dark as it was. Poor little young Ze'ev, and than he tried to protect his brother...nothing was going right for him until he became the alpha. ughhhhh. Wolf tried to be so brave through everything, at least it worked out in the end with him meeting Scarlet. 

Carswell’s Guide to Being Lucky (4/5)

Captain Thorne, always has been and always will be so misunderstood sometimes. 

I didn't actually realize this until after I read the story, but the whole getting suspended from school for helping a girl was actually mentioned in Cress when Cress was trying to explain why she liked him so much. It was nice and funny to see how little Thorne was so much like he is present Thorne, practically a con artist, yet also kind hearted. Goodness, Thorne is so great. 

After Sunshine Passes By (4.5/5)
“Sweet Crescent Moon, up in the sky,
You sing your song so sweetly after sunshine passes by.”


This is the prequel to Cress, where we discover hos Sybil placed poor nine-year-old Cress in the satellite. Cress is one of the sweetest characters ever, it's so sad how she gets excited over the idea that she might be going to earth just to find out that she is going to live alone in a satellite indefinitely, instead. Cress is so amazing and strong in her own way, such a wonderful character. 

The Princess and the Guard (3.5/5)
"There was no safe place. Not in Artemisia. Not on all of Luna.
Except—Jacin.
When her screams succumbed to hysterical sobbing, Jacin finally allowed his hold to turn from the grip of a jailer to the embrace of her best friend.
“This is why,” he whispered, and it occurred to Winter that, at some point, he’d started crying too. “This is why I can’t leave you, Winter. This is why I’ll never leave.”


This is the story of what brought Winter to decide not to use her Lunar gift. And boy, it's pretty heart breaking. But I am about to say something that might be controversial, Winter is my least favorite character. That being said, I am in love with Jacin's love for her, and I in every way commend Winter's choice for not using her gift, and all the reasons why she did so. This story was so emotional and everything between her and Jacin was beautiful in it's own way, but that poor girl whom Winter at one point saved....

The Little Android (3.5/5)
'A retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Little Mermaid,” set in the world of The Lunar Chronicles.' 

This was such a cute little story and also another kind of sad one. Part of me was happy for the cyborg and the engineer being able to be together, but the poor android, she never really had a chance.  

The Mechanic (4.5/5)
“The mechanic?”
The girl—Cinder—nodded. “How can I help you?”
Kai stared at the top of her head.
Linh Cinder.
The renown. The reputation. The approval rating.
New Beijing’s best mechanic was … a teenager?”


It has been so long since I read Cinder, I almost forgot how cute and awkward they were when they first met. I can't get over how amused Kai was, and it was wonderful to see to see Cinder through his eyes. I love it. Plus, Iko was just as ridiculous and hilarious as always, too great! 


Something Old, Something New (5/5)
“I wanted a quiet, intimate wedding, not a circus.”
Thorne leaned against the staircase rail. “It’s the first known Lunar-Earthen wedding in generations, the groom is a bioengineered wolf-human hybrid, and you invited the emperor of the Eastern Commonwealth and an ex–Lunar Queen. What did you expect?”
Scarlet glared at him. “I am marrying the man that I love, and I invited my friends to celebrate with us. I expected a little bit of privacy.”


Wolf and Scarlet are getting MARRIED. I had no I dead that they Marissa Meyer was going to write the story of them getting married! THANK YOU you writing goddess. Scarlet and Wolf are such a cute couple and the whole impromptu wedding was so wonderful, to say I was freaking out during this story would be a major understatement.
I just cannot get over how cute this story was. I almost cried. The wedding, the proposal, the reunion. I am definitely going to miss reading the stories of all these misfits. They will definitely always have a special place in my bookish heart. I love all of them. So, thank you Marissa Meyer for introducing these incredibly wonderful character and the Lunar Chronicles to the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment