Wednesday, October 14, 2020

T5W: Fairly Local

 I don't live in a big city like NY or Paris, and a lot of what I read is fantasy that takes place in make believe land so I tried to pull some choices that drew from different genres and places across the US. Enjoy. 

1. Geekerella


Taking place in Charleston, SC, Elle lives with her Stepmother and Stepsisters. Geekerella is definitely not the most unique or anything but it was such an adorable read and I loved all the nods to so many fandoms intertwined into the one the story revolves around.

2. My Calamity Jane


This book will draw you into 1876 America with gunslingers and the wild wild west, oh, and garou. This is a an old timey, old fashioned werewolf hunt with a real life hero-eene as the lead character. Such a fun read. 

3. Ready Player One

Taking place in a few places within 2044 America and the VR world the OASIS. This is another fun read full of fandoms and action, I definitely recommend this book to anyone who has nerdy adventurous side.

4. Dread Nation


Taking place in Baltimore around the time of the Civil War. But the war between the states is derailed when the dead start rising from the battlefields from which they died. I am usually not the biggest fan of Zombie stories but I have to admit that this was a one of the best Zombie stories I have ever read. 

5. Where the Crawdads Sing


Taking place on the North Carolina coast, this story follows the life of the "Marsh Girl". To be completely honest, I am not really in love with this book, other than the end, but I know that it is loved by so many others so I am going to throw it in here. While I won't straight up suggest the book I will encourage those that are interested in it to to give it a chance. 

4 comments:

  1. I loved Geekerella so much! And I've thought about reading Dread Nation a couple of times, maybe someday I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recommend Dread Nation! I have yet to read the second book so I can't say anything about the series but book one is definitely worth the read.

      Delete
  2. I still need to read most of these. I do have a physical copy of Where The Crawdad's Sing so I hope to get to it before 2020 ends or the start of 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read Where The Crawdad's Sing and write about it in a post, please, let me know! I would love to hear how you feel about it.

      Delete