Wednesday, October 28, 2020

T5W: Spoopy Times

I usually say I am not one for spooky reads of any kind, no horror or anything like that but while going through all the books I have read I realized that I have been really into more than I realized. It was really hard for me to condense my favorite into only 5 books so I decided to choose my top 5 spooky reads that I feel like are severely underrated. 

1. The Dark Days Club


London, 1812, demons are trying to infiltrate society at every level. While this book is part of a series I felt pretty content having had only read book one, thus far. There is a lot of dark and creepy things and a girl coming into her own as she realizes demons actually exist and you can't even tell them apart from the rest of us. Let the war begin. 

2. The Man in the Picture


Most people know Susan Hill as the renowned author of the Woman in Black, but I know her more for this wonderful gem. It's a very short read, I believe less than 200 pages, but for something so short it has the same spooky aspects as her other horror stories. This is all about a man with an eerie painting of the Venice Carnival that has the ability to entrap life. 

3. Crane


This is an Ichabad Crane retelling that takes place from the perspectives of both him and his ancestor Ireland Crane and their fight with the curse of the Horseman. I mean, to me, that's enough said, this is a series that also brings in retellings of other old horror tales and creatures.

4. The Girl with all the Gifts 


A story of a young zombie girl who has intelligence seeking out the answers to this apocalyptic outbreak. 10/10 recommend. Also, there is a movie based on this book that is on Netflix though I have no idea if it is any good or even anything like the book itself. 

5. All the Beautiful People


Another zombie tail. This one is a classic about a pharmaceutical company releasing a drug to help bring those with depression's inner self into the light and instead causes them to become uber violent, blood thirsty creature. This was one of those random books I got for super cheap on my kindle and I don't regret it for an instance. This is one of those random, not well know stories that I fell like more people need to give a chance. 


If you participate in T5W or just have some spoopy reads, or show, suggestions please let me know! I am trying to broaden my horizons. 

4 comments:

  1. The Girl With All the Gifts is also a book that came to my mind for this topic. It was so good! I don't read much horror either, but I do enjoy the occasional zombie apocalypse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I didn't realize how much I did either until I was looking into my past reads for this list

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently reading The Girl with All the Gifts and I'm loving it, it's great! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you are loving it! I have yet to read The Boy on the Bridge (set in the same world) but I have yet to pick it up. I have read some of M.R. Carey's other work though.

      Delete