Sunday, April 17, 2016

Dorothy Must Die Book Review

Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1) by Danielle Paige
Goodreads Synopsis:
 didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go along, you know?
Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling.
What happened? Dorothy.
They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.
My name is Amy Gumm - and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight.
And I have a mission.


My Opinion: Iv'e never really been a big Wizard of Oz fan, but since Iv'e seen some interesting adaptions of it (e.g. Tin Man on Syfy and the TV show Supernatural) I thought I would give it a try. And wow, I'd be damned if I lied and said I wasn't pleasantly surprised with it. It was such a great re-imagining of a skewed Oz. The characters were interesting, to say the least, with some pretty imaginative magic use. It was chock full of emotions, confusions, and frustrations 
“I hate to break it to you, but just because someone has pretty hair and a good skin tone and a crown instead of a pointy hat doesn’t mean she’s not the baddest bitch this side of the emerald city.” 

The take that Danielle Paige took on the original story was, in many ways, refreshing. I loved how she tool those whom most would perceive as the heroes and show them in a new light. Oh, and can I just say that one of my favorite parts of the entire story is that Dorothy is kind of a slut, and that the Tin Woodman is such a lover boy; I mean, that's kind of awesome. Other than that, most of the characters were exactly what you would expect once you actually get introduced to them. On the other hand though, the green eyed guy in the beginning gave me some pretty mixed feelings. In fact, the only thing I really like about him was that he basically told Amy to get the hell out of Oz because it's pretty fucked up. (ugh, language. Sorry)
“I’m not Glinda. I’m Glamora, her twin sister. She’s the Good witch; I’m the Wicked one. Of course, she’s also the one who’s turned Oz into the hellhole it is now, so it’s really all relative.” 

When it comes to the story itself, I will admit that it did have some flaws, but, lets be honest, no story is perfect. I did, however, love how everything is relative in the story, which is one of the truest things I have ever read in a YA book like this. Everything is based on perception. Like holy guacamole, (see I can do it without cursing) that's kind of deep...well sort of. Anyways, it's just different, especially in regards to retelling. Her entrance into Oz was exactly how you would expect, a tornado comes and she gets swept away, but than it's like, what the actual fuck just happened? (aaaaand I lost my no cursing momentum) She's on the edge of an abyss, sort of, a cute boy appears and disappears out of nowhere, everything is dead or dying, the air is hazy, and the yellow brick road moves? Honestly, I probably would have had a mini panic attack and possibly died way sooner than she did. But, than again, I'm not the protagonist in a hit novel. We can all wish though, right? 
“Simple. You’re going to kill her.” She looked right at me and said, “Dorothy must die.”
By the end of this book I had two thoughts running through my head: Was it too much to want to see Dorothy die? and *SPOILERS, sort of?* I am so happy there wasn't a love triangle.. *Sigh of relief* I mean, was I the only one who thought there might be a love triangle at the beginning of the book, or was I just imagining things? If you've read the book please let me know. (4/5)


Image result for dorothy must die quotes




No comments:

Post a Comment