Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Adorkable by Cookie O'Gorman Book Review

Adorkable by Cookie O'Gorman 

adorkable

Synopsis 

Adorkable (ah-dor-kuh-bul): Descriptive term meaning to be equal parts dorky and adorable. For reference, see Sally Spitz.

Seventeen-year-old Sally Spitz is done with dating. Or at least, she's done with the horrible blind dates/hookups/sneak attacks her matchmaking bestie, Hooker, sets her up on. There's only so much one geek girl and Gryffindor supporter can take.

Her solution: she needs a fake boyfriend. And fast.

Enter Becks, soccer phenom, all-around-hottie, and Sally's best friend practically since birth. When Sally asks Becks to be her F.B.F. (fake boyfriend), Becks is only too happy to be used. He'd do anything for Sal--even if that means giving her PDA lessons in his bedroom, saying she's "more than pretty," and expertly kissing her at parties.

The problem: Sally's been in love with Becks all her life--and he's completely clueless.

This book features two best friends, one special edition Yoda snuggie, countless beneath-the-ear kisses and begs the question:

Who wants a real boyfriend when faking it is so much more fun?

Opinion 

True to the title, I only have one word to describe this book; Adorkable. Sally Spitz is a proud dork and Becks is the sweet as can be, hottie of a jock, how can this not turn into something adorable? I mean, yeah, the story is far from original and fluffy as all hell, but sometimes that's all you need. 

I originally picked this up as a free ebook on KU when I was bored at work one day and thought I would take a little break from fantasy novels and dive into a genre I rarely ever go near, and I am so happy I did. From start to finish, even though anyone with half a brain could figure out how it was going to end, you can't wait to see what is going to happen between Sally and Becks next, their just so damn cute, and it made me happy when they were together, even if he was her FBF. The fact that he was always smiling and his whole no-shave-pregame thing, oh, and the fact that he was a sweetheart (earning him major brownie points in my book), made it hard not to love his character. Than Sally's shameless Star Trek references and full on German overload when she lost her temper, made you want to be her best friend. 
“Not even after I’d told him about my secret life-long crush on Lucius Malfoy from the Harry Potter series. That hair, the voice, that whole uptight baddie/aristocrat thing... It was embarrassing, but the guy was just yum.” 
Though this was far from anything revolutionary, I have to give O'Gorman major props on how witty and fun the conversations withing the book were. Sally and Becks banter were pretty on point. I find that this is something that can really make or break a book for me and the fact that it was cute and fun made the book all that much more enjoyable. My teenage side (even though I'm still 19, so technically still a teenager) could really relate to a lot of what was happening. Admittedly, I've never had a fake boyfriend, but all the drama and such brought me back to my high school mind set for so much of the book. 

All in all, if you're looking for a light, fluffy, fun read I suggest you pick this up. If anything, it'll put a smile on your face. Though Sally's best friend Hooker drove me crazy sometimes, and Sally and Becks chemistry makes the book worth the read. (3.5/5)


No comments:

Post a Comment