Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey Book Review

The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

17235026

Synopsis 

Melanie is a very special girl. Dr. Caldwell calls her "our little genius."

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favorite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.

Opinion 

To say this book was not what I expected would be a bit of an understatement. The story itself was much more chilling, and eerily creative than the synopsis made it seem. I've never really been a big fan of zombies, to me they just down right suck and the people in zombie stories are always incredibly terrible at making logical decisions. However, there was nothing really traditional about this story, it was like a mixture of the Walking Dead, World War Z, and so much else.
“you can't save people from the world. There's nowhere else to take them.” 
One if the things I really enjoyed about this story was the authors new take on zombies, the idea of some of them being intelligent and emotional. In the beginning Carey brings you right into how the children are feeling and how they think, making you understand how they are basically frightened children and not just lab rats to be sacrificed to the cause. This book really makes you think about what being "human" really means. There were times when I thought some of the non-infected people were total dicks for no real reason. (Don't even get me started in Dr. Caldwell). The story, however, really centers around Melanie and how, through the teachings of her beloved Miss Justineau, she learns about those like Pandora sparking her fire making her want to understand more of who she is and her feelings of love and acceptance. One of my favorite parts about the book, however, was all the science behind the infections and what makes children like Melanie special. Obviously I don't want to spoil anything, but damn, it was way better than I expected.
“And then like Pandora, opening the great big box of the world and not being afraid, not even caring whether what’s inside is good or bad. Because it’s both. Everything is always both. But you have to open it to find that out.” 
Okay, as much as I truly enjoyed this story, I acknowledge that there were a few flaws. For one, the story dragged a bit too much in some parts for me. Also, there were a few things I feel like Casey could have expanded on, for example, I want to know more or at least see more of the junkers in the story. Plus, I wish they got more into the ways of Beacon...but that's a whole other thing.
“the horror of the unknown is more frightening than any horror you can understand” 
All in all, this book was beautiful and creepy and left you asking for more. (Don't even get me started on the ending of the book...I just...damn it Carey). If you are a fan of zombie stories and enjoy twists on original 'monsters' I highly recommend giving this book a chance! (4/5)

P.S. I just found out that it's going to be a movie! Check out the trailer





No comments:

Post a Comment